Day of Surgery
Many people in Mesa, Tucson, Scottsdale, and Phoenix need weight loss surgery in order to attain their dream of a healthy and satisfying future. The experienced and caring professionals at Weight Loss Institute of Arizona have found that when you choose qualified specialists and know what to expect, you can relax and focus on the brighter future ahead. Our East Valley Surgery Center is an approved Bariatric Surgery MBSAQIP Accredited – Comprehensive Center. It should give you peace of mind to know that we maintain the highest standards in the industry for surgical experience, staffing, equipment, standardized care, and outcomes.
Your comfort, safety, and health are our priorities at East Valley Surgery Center. If you have any questions before you visit us in Tempe, Arizona, for bariatric surgery, call us at (480) 829-6100.
Guidelines for a Successful Surgery
- It is your responsibility to arrange in advance for a responsible adult (age 18 or older) to drive you home and remain with you for the first 24 hours after surgery. You cannot drive or be left alone during this period. If you fail to arrange for a responsible adult to care for you, your surgery may be cancelled. Transportation by taxi or limousine is not generally acceptable.
- Please bathe or shower prior to your surgery. Remove all makeup. Do not use lotions, perfume or oils after bathing.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing such as sweat suits and easy to button shirts or blouses that are big enough to accommodate a large bandage after surgery. Wear flat, comfortable shoes, not high heels.
- Leave all valuables, including jewelry and cash, at home. We cannot be responsible for lost or damaged property.
- Bring a list of your medications and supplements with you on the day of your surgery, both prescription and non-prescription.
- Be prepared to sign a form giving your consent for the operation. If you are under 18, a parent or legal guardian must accompany you and sign the consent form.
- Bring all insurance cards and your driver’s license with you to the center. Review our More Information page for details about insurance and billing.
- Please arrive 1 hour before your scheduled procedure.
- A nurse will provide you with a patient gown, slippers and a bag to store your clothing in once you are in the preoperative area. We will also check your temperature, blood pressure and pulse and ask you to empty your bladder before surgery. An IV will be started to administer anesthesia and medications. An anesthesiologist will meet you before surgery to discuss your treatment plan and answer any questions you may have.
- Your family will be asked to wait in the front lobby. The surgeon will speak with your family immediately following surgery.
Review our after surgery instructions to familiarize yourself with what to expect and how to prepare your home.